While The Last Of Us has been confirmed for a second season, fans of the HBO show have been given a disappointing update on its future beyond that.
After its premiere on January 15, the series, based on the popular video game of the same name, was renewed for a second season.
Starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey, the horror drama tells the story of Joel (Pascal) who is tasked with delivering Ellie (Ramsey) to a rebel group in the post-apocalyptic US, as it is discovered she may hold the cure to restoring civilisation after it was overrun by the Cordyceps virus.
However, HBO drama chief Francesca Orsi has said that there is no guarantee the show will continue past its upcoming second season.
“I think Craig [Mazin] and Neil [Druckmann] are still figuring out where they’re going to come to an end,” Orsi told Deadline.
“We have loosely heard that there will be a Season 3 idea for the series, but at this point, we’re taking it one season at a time. There’s no guarantee at this point that we’ll have a Season 3 but I know that they both have a vision for Season 3. Whether that lends itself to doing more [seasons], I don’t know yet,” she continued.
However, fans may have longer to wait for new episodes as auditions for the upcoming season have been put on hold amid the ongoing Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike.
According to Variety, the casting process has been put on hold indefinitely after actors had been asked to read scenes taken directly from the game The Last of Us Part II, on which the second season will be based.
Co-creators Mazin and Druckmann recently gave fans a hint at what they can expect from season two of The Last Of Us, teasing possible changes ahead.
“The moment-to-moment beats and characters, they might stay the same, they might change,” Druckmann revealed. “We will do what needs to happen to that story as it transfers from one medium to another.”